Ductless AC systems (mini-split) are smaller units operating on less power that have the potential to save money. They may be an option if you have a smaller home with no pre-existing ducts. Mini-split units are primarily used in multifamily housing or as retrofit add-ons to houses with non-ducted systems.
Ductless systems have been used since the 1970s and comprise 80 to 80% of residential HVAC, making them a popular option. A typical household’s energy bill is around $1,900 annually, half of which goes to heating or cooling. So, installing mini-split systems will drastically reduce your expenses.
As a Florida homeowner or renter looking to minimize costs, you may consider ductless mini-split units to improve your cooling efficiency. Fairway Heating & Cooling HVAC experts have provided additional knowledge regarding ductless AC systems to help you decide whether they’re suitable for your home.
What Are Ductless AC Systems?
Ductless AC systems are ductless heating and cooling units containing an indoor air-handling unit and an outdoor compressor. The air handlers can be mounted to either the wall or the ceiling. A conduit housing the power cable, refrigerant tubing, suction tubing, and condensate drain links the outdoor and indoor units. Specifically, the indoor unit provides temperature control in a one-room area.
Furthermore, these units reduce cycling losses, improve part-load control, and enhance humidity control by utilizing variable-speed compressors.
There are two types of systems: single-zone and multi-zone. Single-zone units are efficient and cost-effective ways to control the temperature in one room, such as a bedroom or office space. In comparison, multi-zone systems consist of two more air handler units connected to a single outdoor compressor. Multi-zone units provide additional cooling control for homes with more space.
Pros Of Ductless AC Systems
Here are the following benefits of using ductless mini-split systems:
- Are smaller in size
- Allow flexibility in cooling options
- Improved comfort in smaller spaces
- Do not have to add ducts to areas that never had them before
- Can have multiple, independently controlled indoor units
- Have an easy installation process
- Are suitable for additions and renovations
- Since traditional units’ duct losses can account for 30% of AC energy consumption, ductless systems prevent these losses. They can
- Offer flexibility in interior design options
- Can reduce greenhouse emissions
- May save up to 60% energy compared to standard electric home radiators
Disadvantages of Ductless Units
Despite the many advantages of ductless units, there are several disadvantages:
- Have a slightly higher cost (30% greater than traditional HVAC systems)
- Appearance can be off-putting to some homeowners and renters
- Take up space to install
- Require maintenance
- Suffer from reduced performance in extreme temperatures
- Oversized or incorrectly located air handlers result in short-cycling, energy loss, and poor temperature/humidity control
- Contain a limited cooling capacity without a multiple-unit system
Contact Fairway Heating & Cooling For A Consultation
If you are looking into ductless AC systems, experienced HVAC professionals at Fairway Heating & Cooling can assist you. At Fairway Heating & Cooling, we have over 30 years of experience, allowing us to help you with all your Florida AC and heating needs. With a unique passion and understanding of family and finances, we aim to address the difficulties of repairing and maintaining HVAC systems in the Florida area. So, we created Fairway Heating and Cooling to ensure our clients have accessible and affordable HVAC services.
Our company specializes in a variety of services, which include:
- Mold Removal
- Wi-Fi thermostats
- Ductless HVAC
- Duct repair and maintenance
- Blown-in Insulation
We also offer maintenance plans to ensure your system functions properly. With these plans, we provide honest assessments and customize our recommendations to ensure a cost-effective and worthwhile outcome.
Feel free to contact us today with any questions or to book a FREE estimate!